Android Market

Android Market is an online software store developed by Google for Android devices. An application program ("app") called "Market" is preinstalled on most Android devices and allows users to browse and download apps published by third-party developers, hosted on Android Market. The website, rather than the Market app itself, provides details of some of the available apps, in particular those that are termed "Featured", "Top Paid" and "Top Free".

The Android Market was announced on 28 August 2008 and was made available to users on 22 October 2008. By August 2010, there were over 80,000applications available for download in the Android Market, with over 1 billion application downloads.Recent months (in 2010) have shown an ever increasing growth rate, recently (in May 2010) surpassing 10,000 additional applications per month.

Developers of software (apps) receive 70% of the application price, with the remaining 30% distributed among carriers (if authorized to receive a fee for applications purchased through their network) and payment processors. Revenue earned from the Android Market is paid to developers via Google Checkout merchant accounts. T-Mobile, the first carrier with an Android device, recently updated the market to allow Google to directly bill app purchases to a customer's cell phone account that show up as a charge on the bill.

More information about Android Market can be found in Wikipedia through this link: click here

Android Market

To the left:
The Android Market on an Android phone